preservación conjunta is a general term for a type of orthopedic treatment approach that aims to preserve the natural joints as much as possible. Rather than procedures such as total joint replacement being first-line treatments for joint injury and degenerative conditions, joint preservation seeks to utilize a variety of alternative and progressive treatment options to maintain and repair the body’s natural structures. When successful, joint preservation techniques help to prolong the life of the joints.
To learn more about joint preservation or to schedule an appointment with board-certified orthopedic surgeon and joint preservation expert Steven W. Meier, Maryland, call us today.
Joint Preservation Techniques
Joint preservation uses a broad range of techniques to preserve the body’s natural hip, rodilla, and shoulder joints. The most commonly used treatments include:
- Restauración del cartílago – surgical techniques including autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI) that are designed to help regenerate and restore damaged cartilage.
- Corrective Osteotomy – a procedure that reshapes the bone(s) in order to relieve and minimize pressure on the damaged joint.
- Trasplante de menisco – a procedure done to replace a severely damaged or missing meniscus in the knee with donor cartilage.
- Reconstrucción del ligamento – a surgical procedure done to repair and rebuild damaged ligaments.
- Terapia Inyección – crafted biological material, such as platelet rich plasma and naturally-occurring hyaluronan, that are injected into joints and tissues to help relieve pain and treat damage.
At Meier Orthopedic Sports Medicine we use a combination of techniques to develop personalized treatment plans for each and every one of our patients.
Advantages of Joint Preservation
For many people, total y partial joint replacement procedures are excellent options for treating their degenerative joint conditions. No obstante, for some people who have joint or tissue damage from degeneration or injury and do not want to consider joint replacement, our joint preservation techniques may offer alternative options, which attempt to restore and/or enhance the natural tissues already present.
Many people are able to prolong the functionality of their own joints and tissues and can postpone or eliminate the need to progress to the last resort to help relieve pain, which can be total joint replacement. This is especially true for younger adults who may be expected to benefit more from extending the life of their natural joints than older adults.
Learn More about Joint Preservation at MOSM
Steven W. Meier, MD is a board-certified and fellowship-trained expert in orthopedic surgery. As an expert in the fields of orthopedic surgery and sports medicine, Dr.. Meier has been recognized as a leader in joint preservation techniques. To learn more about how joint preservation can help you or to schedule an appointment for evaluation, please contact us today at 310.736.2793 or fill out our online form.